Wednesday, January 19, 2005

HelLoaiza (damnit)

Apparently, pending results of a physical, Bowden signed Loaiza for "a $2.9M deal that includes incentives". My first thought was honestly, "I should pass on my season tickets".

What does the rotation look like, then? Probably Hernandez, Ohka, Armas, Loaiza, Day. Patterson, Rauch and Hinkley all have some small chance of pushing someone out, but I wouldn't count on it. Patterson and Rauch will likely end up in the bullpen, and I suspect Hinkley will spend another year in AAA.

I wouldn't feel so bad if Loaiza were destined for the pen. But there's no way that'll happen, I fear.

The article mentions that we're getting close with another option for the pen, as Bowden is also talking major league deal for Osuna now, instead of a minor league deal. I think that's a reasonable move, as I've said before. Osuna definitely adds some depth we've been lacking.

4 Comments:

At 3:48 AM, Blogger Kevin said...

I was afraid this would happen. Esteban Loaiza at $3 million isn't exactly a bargain, but I'd rather have him at that amount than what the Royals are paying Jose Lima, $2.5 million. At least some upside and solid peripherals come in a package deal with E-Lo.

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger Yuda said...

Well, this isn't all bad -- I can see Patterson, Rauch and Hinkley all in the bullpen, following the Johan Santana route of long releif and spot starts for the first year. And with Tony Armas in the rotation, there'll be spot starts when he's hurt.

The team won't be competitive this season anyway -- let's not blow anybody's elbow out.

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger John said...

Lima certainly pitched better than Loaiza last year. I personally wouldn't have gone for either of them, but if I had to go for one, it'd probably have been Lima. Even if he stinks up the joint, he's a fan favorite due to his antics. And, I'll bet you $5 he has a better season than Loaiza :-)

Yuda, I agree, but I think Hinkley will probably be consigned to AAA, because his future is as a starter, and they may not want to start his service clock ticking for a bullpen role. I'd personally love to see him play one way or another, though.

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger John said...

Erm, I meant play in the bigs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home