Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Go to Nats games for free

MLB.com is currently hiring for someone to be a regular columnist for the Nationals, probably primarily writing game wrap-ups. They're also looking for someone to enter in Gameday information ("stats stringer").

I'm 100% qualified for the later... I've already learned every single thing there is to know about their 'proprietary coding language'... it is very close to the Retrosheet format, for those familiar with it. I can say that you shouldn't *need* to know the language... they should have a better GUI that produces the codes automatically. It's clear they don't currently have such a GUI though, because there are some plays that are scored in different ways, depending on the scorer and how he feels at the moment!

Ah, if it weren't for the day job...

2 Comments:

At 11:57 AM, Blogger tmk67 said...

John, where do you find the "raw" Gameday play-by-pla data? I am interested in playing around with it.

Also, given that Gameday has pitch location information, I gotta think there is a point-and-click GUI for that. It would seem that writing a GUI for the Retrosheet-style play-by-play would not be too difficult to develop (not that I could do it, but I'm sure there's someone smart out there!)

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger John said...

http://gd2.mlb.com/components/game/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home