Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Viva Las Vega$?

Welcome from the future (I want this parented under Wednesday).

I'm watching the council meeting as I work, and I've got good news and bad news. The good news is that the stadium proposal will pass (update: did pass, 7-6). The bad news is that it is going to pass with a requirement that 1/2 the stadium financing comes from the private sector. There's a deadline where if the council doesn't approve a package certified by the CFO, the deal is dead (actually, the council may not actually have to approve it, it may only be that it gets to them. I wasn't too clear on that, but I'm sure the news tomorrow will clear it up). This would have to be approved by next year's council, which may not even want to foot 50% of the bill.

I wonder how MLB is going to react to this. NOVA isn't an option any more, as there's no way MLB could move fast enough to take advantage of legislation that expires in about 2 weeks. They might just suck it up. Or, they might say, "we'll play here until Vegas builds us a stadium", which Vegas is quite willing to do.

More likely, MLB will keep the award conditional, until Cropp's deadline passes. The drama continues.

Update: The AP story is here. It claims that the likely result (if the law stands) is that MLB will reopen its search. If they don't wait until they find out whether public financing is secured, then that'll give Vega$ an opportunity to swoop in.

Update #2: An editorial in the Post also agrees with AP that MLB is going to reject the deal and look elsewhere. I probably won't be around for the official response or the uniform unveiling. I'll check back in late tonight.

2 Comments:

At 8:34 AM, Blogger tmk67 said...

WTOP is reporting that the uniform-unveiling scheduled for today is being postponed. That's a good sign, right?

I would suspect that we might hear from the Malek ownership group soon. They have been very quiet during the stadium "debate", I wonder if they may simply make an offer to buy the team outright.

 
At 8:55 AM, Blogger John said...

Let's hope. I clearly wouldn't mind NOVA if that's still an option, but I doubt it is. I'd hate to have to pick my family up and move to Vegas ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home