Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Welcome to the NL East cellar?

I think the most depressing news in Washington Post isn't that we signed Guzman ($17M is the number the post cites... I heard $16.8 on ESPN) and Castilla. For those who don't like the Nationals, it isn't that the Post has sources confirming that this will be the name announced next week.

No, to me, it's that those two guys are "the team's most significant on-field moves of the offseason". If our budget were really at $55M, then we should have about $12M to play with, and should be able to pick up a starter that isn't as marginal as these guys, right? I think that Bowden is trying to exact its revenge on the sport for his own failures. I now wholeheartedly expect him to sign Esteban Loiaza, or someone equally crummy, and then pay entirely too much for him.

I feel like Bowden has got to be on Angelos' secret payroll!

Aaron Gleeman has an analysis of these signings over at the Hardball Times. I was able to laugh at my misery.

3 Comments:

At 10:59 AM, Blogger NatsMan said...

I don't think the Castilla signing is so bad. He had a strong season (power-wise) last year. Guzman is a waste, however. New franchises signing power hitters makes sense to bring in the casual fan. Young players might develop better over time, but the new owners are concerned about attracting fans in 2005.

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger John said...

Did you look at his home/away splits? Outside of the notoriously hitter friendly Coors field, his line looks just as mediocre as it always has!

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger Colin said...

I took that Post tidbit to mean that Castilla and Guzman are the team's most significant off-field moves *so far* this offseason. I'm not especially in love with either pickup, but I'm not as horrified by the Guzman signing as some. I am horrified by Castilla, however.

Give Bowden time before crucifying him. His opening moves are so-so, but here's hoping he has a better plan up his sleeve when it comes to pitching.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home