It's officialAnother brief update while I enjoy my vacation, but as I'm sure everyone knows, the Washington team is now officially the Nationals, and the team also unveiled their new logo. MLB has also opened their new web site, nationals.com, which already has tons of mechandise available.
On the field, Bowden has announced that we'll retain pitching coach Randy St. Claire. He'll also keep Tom McCraw (last year's hitting coach), Bob Natal (last year's catching and bullpen coach) and Eddie Rodriguez (last year's bench coach), though Bowden seems likely to shuffle these guys around. It's likely that two of the three will end up as base coaches, as Bowden clearly wants someone better to work with pitchers in the bullpen, and is hoping to find a better hitting instructor.
The team's new home page also has a few new articles:
- A position-by-position look at the Nationals, which makes the bold claim that Bowden has already improved the team;
- A look at the best of a bad lot of Nationals prospects;
- A history of the name Nationals;
- A reaction from former Washington Senator Fred Valentine, who attended yesterday's festivities;
- A fluff piece on Bowden; and
- An interview with Bowden that is actually worth a read, as he gives some good insight into the status of the team, including injury reports on Vidro, Day, Armas and Johnson.