Friday, November 05, 2004

Batista a free agent

Apparently, there's no agreement on years or dollars yet, so Batista filed yesterday. Last year he signed a 1 year, 1.5 mil contract.

Batista can hit for power... when he hits. He doesn't really walk. He had 32 homers last year, with a .241 average and a measly .272 on base percentage. Though once you get past the people we can't afford, there aren't that many other good options out there, I'd rather lose Batista, anyway. 32 homers a year doesn't make up for never being on base.

In other team news, there are going to be 28 days this year when the O's and our team play on the same day. The schedule was prepared before Washington was selected, so this probably won't be an issue in the future (the Cubs and White Sox, for instance, will play only 2 games at home on the same day). MLB managed to move some things around, getting it all the way down to 28 from 30. Nice work, guys.

The Washington Times is reporting that the team name is likely to be Nationals, citing "industry sources". Mayor Williams fought hard against the Senators, but if this article is correct, not hard enough for the Grays. Apparently, our team colors are going to be red, white and blue. Yuck.

3 Comments:

At 12:28 PM, Blogger ExpatriatedNEGuy said...

There's nothing wrong with a blue hat, white jersey, oh and Red Sox :)

Actually I have a ~1954 baseball card for Chuck Stobbs of the Washington Nationals, and if my recollection is correct the uniform was essentially blue (similar to Dodger blue) and white, with red "W". It wasn't ugly anyway...

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger ExpatriatedNEGuy said...

OK - I booted the uniform description, the cap was blue, etc...
see http://www.basehit.net/ItemView.asp?PartNo=9910

If I could type...I'd be dangerous.....

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger John said...

I can't remember where, but I saw someone suggest the name "Gray Sox", which I actually liked, personally. Much better than Red ;-) Being a Patriots fan as well, I can live with red, white and blue as colors if it's as tastefully done as the new logo, but my worst fear is something as hideous as the Patriots look and feel from my youth!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home